Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Yoga: Then and now

Dear Katie,

Last night I attended my first yoga class since I delivered you. While you were in my belly, growing away, I took a handful of prenatal yoga classes at Peachtree Yoga Center in Sandy Springs. It was such a great way for me to relax, talk to other soon-to-be moms and, of course, stretch! One thing that I always found fascinating with prenatal yoga is that I could really spend some quiet time meditating and thinking about the fact that you were there, growing, inside of me.

Since I had you, I have had a very hard time grasping this idea that one day you were inside me, and now here you are. Live in person. Yes, obviously, I can look at you and remember being pregnant, but for some reason I don't associate YOU being inside of my belly.

Well, last night, it finally hit me. We were getting near the end of class, and the instructor was encouraging people to get into "shoulder stand". I moved into position and as I was trying to focus on my breathing, I realized that my belly (no longer big and round) was right there near my face. As I took a breath in, I had this flashback to the last time I had been in that very room, in that very same position, when you were inside me. It was weird - it finally resonated with me and it took "shoulder stand" for me to FINALLY get it.

I came out of the position and rested for a little bit before packing up and heading home. I honestly couldn't get home fast enough to see your precious face. As soon as I saw you, I just looked at you and shook my head in amazement. It's truly a miracle that one day you were inside me and now you are here. Live in person.

Love,
Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment