Thursday, November 18, 2010

The Flu

Our poor little monkey has a case of The Flu. Apparently her birthday illness was a tad bit more than just a "virus" as the doctor stated on Monday morning. She seemed to be on the mend, attended day care the past couple of days, but then I received a call late yesterday afternoon from the Director, letting me know she had a fever of 101.8.

I picked her up, came home and she seemed to be OK - albeit a little tired. I put her to bed around 7:30 and she slept fine all night. Now, the past couple of mornings, she has been VERY snotty whenever I have gotten her out of her crib, so I was expecting another round of wiping the nose, suctioning, etc. What I wasn't expecting, however, was to walk in and discover that Katie's sheets were smeared with blood - apparently, she got a bloody nose at some point in the night/early morning. Her face had blood smeared all over it, her hair was crusty from the blood, and her sheets, mattress pad and crib rail cover were also stained.

I was HORRIFIED. Given that I saw the blood before I saw her face (she was still sort of lying down), I freaked. I started yelling. DH thought she had died. Honestly, it was a scene out of a very, very bad movie.

Just to err on the safe side, I called the doctor to see if we needed to do anything before our 8:30 appointment, but she told me no - this was perfectly normal. It's cold outside, dry inside, and a blood vessel obviously popped. She also reassured me that what I saw was a lot worse than what it really was.

I took her to the doctor an hour later, and immediately she wanted to do a flu test - sure enough, it was positive. Of course, it's too late to really treat her, so we are going to let it run its course. Thankfully, despite having a head full of snot, she is doing very well. Not too cranky.

Is the week over yet?

1 comment:

  1. I'm sorry she is so sick, poor baby :( Hope she feels better soon! I can't imagine seeing all the blood, I would have freaked too!

    ReplyDelete