Thursday, September 24, 2009

Whoa! 32 Weeks Pregnant!

32 weeks. I've thought about the day I would reach 32 weeks for quite some time now. Not because this is any big milestone, but because I know someone who delivered at 32 weeks. It's this day that has been looming in my mind because it made me realize after she delivered early that ANYTHING is possible.

I find myself looking at my ankles to see if they are swelling (because hers did), I try to notice if the baby is moving more on one particular day than the other (because hers did), I hear people telling stories of all of the people they know who delivered early and I can't help but wonder if this will happen to us.

Thankfully, every premie I have heard about recently is doing exceptionally well, but I can't imagine the toll it must take on those new parents. The heartache of leaving your baby at the hospital; spending hours upon hours, days upon days at the hospital; hoping and praying that your baby is safe and everything is functioning properly.

Wow. I just can't imagine. So, I won't worry about it. I will continue to think about the fact that we have (hopefully) 8 more weeks until we meet Smyrna Baby. 2 months, approximately 60 days. I'll keep praying that this baby is very comfortable where he/she is, and is not anxious (right now) to meet any of us...and, of course, keeps on cookin'.

According to Babycenter.com:
By now, your baby weighs 3.75 pounds (pick up a large jicama) and is about 16.7 inches long, taking up a lot of space in your uterus. You're gaining about a pound a week and roughly half of that goes right to your baby. In fact, she'll gain a third to half of her birth weight during the next 7 weeks as she fattens up for survival outside the womb. She now has toenails, fingernails, and real hair (or at least respectable peach fuzz). Her skin is becoming soft and smooth as she plumps up in preparation for birth.

No comments:

Post a Comment