Tuesday, April 6, 2010

1 Year Ago Today...

Dear Katie,

April 6th is a very special day for Mommy and Daddy, as one year ago today was the day we learned I was pregnant with you! I will never forget that day, as well as the couple days leading up to the moment I took the pregnancy test. The Friday night before (April 3rd), your Daddy and I had dinner with your Great Aunt Sandy and Great Uncle Don, as well as with Daddy's cousins. I had had a very long week at work and all I wanted to do was to have a nice cold glass of beer. I hadn't had but a couple of sips and remember practically falling asleep right there at the dinner table! I pushed the beer to the side, ate my dinner, and counted down the minutes until I could go home and crawl into bed.

The next day we hung around the house doing chores. We planned to meet up with everyone later in the afternoon, but couldn't leave until I took a little nap - something your Mommy rarely does. When I woke up two hours later, we both thought that maybe I was coming down with something because napping (especially that long) just isn't something I do, let alone for 2 hours! Once again, while at dinner, I thought I was going to fall asleep right in the middle of eating! Something wasn't right.

Sunday morning, your Daddy and I had to take his cousin up to the Appalachian Trail in the North Carolina mountains. During the drive, my back started to ache terribly and all I could think about was both eating (a lot) and sleeping! It suddenly occurred to me that maybe I was pregnant. NO...really? Could it be? I kept quiet until later that night. I had a small wave of nausea and decided that maybe I should tell your Dad that I was planning on taking a pregnancy test the next afternoon.

All day Monday, April 6th, I was sitting at work feeling extremely ancy. I was terrified to take the pregnancy test - only because I figured I had gotten my hopes up and it would be negative. After all this time of wanting to get pregnant, could it be that it had actually happened?

I raced home, but then decided I wasn't ready to take the test. I made dinner, ate, did the dishes and while your Dad was watching some TV, I snuck upstairs to take the test. The instructions say to wait a full 5 minutes before reviewing the results, but I didn't have to! Within 2 minutes, the test was showing the darkest two red lines and I knew it! I WAS PREGNANT!!!!!

I walked downstairs, shaking, held the test up in front of your Dad's face and said, "Look!" He asked me what it was and what it meant (I believe he was in denial) and I told him we were going to have a baby.

And, there you have it...that's where the journey officially began. 7 months later, you were born...and here it is one year to the date of when I took the test, and you are just shy of 5 months old. It's truly a miracle, and one that we are both SO thankful for.

Love,
Mommy

1 comment: