Thursday, October 22, 2009

Crenshaw Melons..or 36 Weeks

Honestly, I've never heard of a Crenshaw Melon, but apparently Smyrna Baby is roughly the size of one. I had to Google Image the term just to get an idea of what one may look like. If you are as curious as I was, you can look here.

Anyway, Smyrna Baby is rapidly growing (and causing Smyrna Mama's appetite to be out of control the past few days). According to Babycenter.com, "Your baby is gaining about an ounce a day. She now weighs almost 6 pounds (like a crenshaw melon) and is more than 18 1/2 inches long. She's shedding most of the downy hair that covered her body, as well as the vernix caseosa, the waxy substance that protected her skin during her nine-month amniotic bath. Next week, your baby will be considered full-term. Most likely she's in a head-down position, but if she isn't, your practitioner may suggest scheduling an external cephalic version, where she'll try to turn your baby by manipulating her from the outside of your belly."

What a relief to know that there will be no "manipulating" of this baby now that he/she is head down (and, for the record, my doctor wouldn't do the version even if I wanted her to).

To date, I have gained a total of 27 lbs. My suspicion is that when this is all said and done, I will have gained 30-32. I'm still working out on a regular basis - in fact, have gotten into a very good routine and am hitting the gym 3-4 times a week, which has done wonders for the way I feel.

I'm still in shock about the baby turning, and I will say that I am so relieved to know that I will still get my two surprises: going into labor unexpectedly and finding out the day of the birth if we are having a boy or a girl!

Only 27 days until my due date...

No comments:

Post a Comment